135 Macquarie Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Dental Implants for Missing Teeth
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is an artificial root, anchored into your jawbone, supporting a fixed tooth replacement. Because they are biocompatible, they actually stimulate the fusion to the bone needed to create a permanent tooth replacement.
Once that happens, a crown, bridge or entire set of teeth can be attached to the implants. The result is a full set of teeth that look and feel just like your natural teeth.
Benefits of dental implants
- Natural-looking tooth restoration: Dental implants feel, look and function just like natural teeth. You’ll be able to eat and chew like you used to, and once again have a beautiful smile.
- Biocompatible materials: Implants are usually made of titanium, and crowns and bridges of porcelain. Comfortable and highly successful when professionally placed, they will not compromise your healthy teeth and will not cause an allergic reaction.
- Dental implants can be used in many complex situations: If the surrounding teeth cannot support a bridge, a freestanding implant is still an option. If the amount of bone is not enough for a foundation, it can be grafted.
- A long-lasting solution: Contemporary clinical research shows excellent clinical outcomes for implant borne restorations if maintained with good oral hygiene and regular recalls. And there is no age limit; as long as your jaw is no longer growing, usually around 18 years of age, an implant is possible.
- Preserve a youthful appearance: Missing teeth can make you look a lot older than you are and feel. The bone may shrink over time and cause wrinkled lips and a sunken mouth and chin. This can be easily and painlessly corrected with implants.
An alternative to dentures...
In the past, dentures were often the only option for missing teeth. Yet they can be uncomfortable, cause gum irritations, and even change the way you taste food. Ill-fitting dentures can cause pressure points and pain, but also embarrassment when they move in your mouth.
Dental implants are aesthetically pleasing, comfortable, secure and durable – just like your natural teeth. This makes implants the ideal solution for many edentulous problems, including:
- If you are missing all your teeth and currently wear dentures
- If you have a history of periodontal disease
- If your surrounding teeth are damaged
- If your teeth can not support a conventional tooth supported bridge
If you have been told previously you aren’t suitable for dental implants, we may still be able to help.